Access Keys:

Scoil Mhuire, Caislean Nua, Clonmel, Co Tipperary


Oral tradition traces the first 'hedge school' in the village to the Walsh farmhouse on the Bahernaugh Boreen.  According to Mr Michael Kennedy who was reared there and who now owns the property, the job of headmaster was handed down from father to son through a number of generations, with the last headmaster being a Gregory Walsh who is buried in the old cemetry.  The building is very well preserved, although the loft is now removed.  There were also five pay as you go schools in the parish at different times.  The site of one of these schools is now occupied by McCarra's Hardware shop.

The first national school in the village was the 'old' school on the Melleray road.  This school was opened in 1864 and continued in use until 1963.  This was a two storey building with the girls occupying the upstairs while the boys were taught downstairs.  In his book 'Tales from the Deise', Fr Michael Hallinan writes that there were one hundred boys and one hundred girls in attendance there in 1924.  This old building has now been converted to a private residence.

Although the plaque on the outside of the school states that the school was opened in 1961, it was not in fact opened until 1963.  Lack of funding has been one reason for this.  At the time of the building the school was short by only a few pupils to qualify for an extra classroom..  A pre-fabricated building was added in the late 1960's to accommodate the extra pupils.  This was situated to the right of the building.  In 1986 the then facilities were deemed inadequate and the third, fourth, fifth and sixth classes were moved to the Muintir na Tíre Hall.  This arrangement continued for two years until two pre-fabricated buildings were purchased and the pupils returned to the school in 1988.

As pupil numbers rose a fourth teacher was appointed to the school in 1986.  However as numbers declined again the school reverted to a three teacher school in 1996.  The prefabs were replaced at Easter 2005.  In June 2006 the roof of the main school building was replaced, the boys' toilets were refurbished and a special needs toilet was added. A three classroom extension was added in 2009 and another mainstream classroom and S.E.T. room were added in 2015. The school will be adding an ASD suite to the school in 2023.